Thursday, March 15, 2007

On Lights and Lasers

It was his first trip to 770. He had come for a Yechidus with the Rebbe. While waiting in line, he noticed the bochurim passionately learning and fabrenging. Although he couldn't help but be impressed by their energy and dedication, he commented to the Rebbe that they seemed somewhat naive and close-minded. The Rebbe responded that their behavior was not due to their being naive and close-minded but rather being focused and directed...

A few years ago, I was interviewed by magazine doing an article featuring "Religious Yeshiva Students." Amongst the questions they asked me was “What advantage does your lifestyle have over that of the average teenager your age?"

It sort of put me on the spot. What was I supposed to say? I needed to answer something simple and logical enough for their readers to understand.


Well, there are probably a lot of things I could have said, but for some reason this is what left my mouth:


"Your average teenager is faced with so many decisions. What should I do with my life? Who should I hang out with? What should be my priorities be? What kind of relationship am I looking for? What should I wear to school in the morning?

And these decisions throw them around in all directions. Life's goals are constantly changing. Dressing in the morning is an entire operation. Relationships are complex and very confusing.


Now, in our circles we also have decision to make. But, these very same decisions don’t throw us anywhere. As a Chasidic Jew, I am grounded. All the choices I make center around a focal point. I have a mission statement that stays the same throughout my life. When I wake up in the morning, I have a clear agenda of what I need to that day.

We have direction. We have clarity. And therefore, we can get so much further..."

A laser can achieve so much more than a regular light for the simple reason that all of its light is focused on one place...

What would you have answered to this question?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

word for word what you said

i was interviewed last year for a nationwide youth program in israel..on the topic of self doubt...they wanted to know if i ever felt it...how i dealt with it..a chassidic jew...i said the same thing as you did.


ashreinu mah tov chelkeinu

Anonymous said...

Are we TRULY focused? k'daboi.

chanie said...

I would probably have said the same, except in short, at first- 'We know who we are, who we want to be, and where we are going.' Zehu.